FETAC Level 6 Patient / People Handling Instructor Course
Nine day interactive course - Three Modules - Six Weeks
This FETAC Level 6 Patient Handling Instructor course is for individuals who wish to provide patient/people handling training in the workplace.
It is a nine day, interactive course which is delivered in three modules over six weeks with a follow up day approximately three months later. Successful participants will receive a FETAC Level 6 Special Purpose Certificate in People Handling Instruction. This certificate incorporates two components - Manual Handling and People Handling Instruction.
This FETAC level 6 Patient handling instructor course is run on an open public basis as well as in-house for organisations who wish to train a group of employees within their organisation to deliver patient handling training.
Aims - FETAC Level 6 Patient Handling Instructor Course
The aim of this FETAC level 6 Patient handling instructor course is equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to effectively design and deliver training courses in manual handling and in patient handling in the health and social care context.
Objectives - FETAC Level 6 Patient Handling Instructor Course
On completion of this FETAC Level 6 Patient Handling Instructor course learners will be able to:
- Explain the main components of relevant handling health and safety legislation relating to manual handling & patient handling.
- Define the main components of the spinal column
- Explain the main risk factors for back injuries related to manual handling & patient handling
- Describe the concepts of ergonomics in relation to manual handling & patient handling
- Explain the manual handling & patient handling risk assessment process
- To be able to carry out manual handling & patient handling risk assessments
- Describe a range of controls to avoid and reduce the risk of back injuries
- Apply the main principles of lifting to a range of manual handling & patient handling tasks
- Analyse the learners performance of manual handling & patient handling techniques
- Develop manual handling & patient handling courses
- Deliver effective manual handling & patient handling training courses
- Demonstrate an understanding of adult learning principles
Content - FETAC Level 6 Patient Handling Instructor Course
The course content covers all the topics required to achieve the learning outcomes in the FETAC standards ‘Instructing Manual Handling’ and ‘Instructing People Handling’ and includes:
- Information on relevant health and safety, human rights and disability legislation
- Information on the structure and function of the spine and on how to keep the spine healthy
- Information on how injuries may occur and on how to prevent injuries occurring
- The relevance of ergonomics to manual handling and patient handling tasks
- Manual handling assessments and implementation of control measures
- People handling assessments and handling plans
- Principles of safer handling
- Practical inanimate handling techniques
- Practical people handling techniques
- Problem solving skills
- Use of a range of manual handling and patient handling equipment
- Presentation/Instructional skills
Each participant will receive a comprehensive set of course notes and a sample training presentation CD.
- Candidates must have experience caring for patients in a health or social care context
- Ideally candidates should have a nursing or therapy background
- Candidates must have good communication and public speaking skills and be fluent in the English language and able to speak it in an accent that is easily understood.
- Candidates should be reasonably fit and have no back or joint problems as patient handling training is a physically demanding course to deliver.
- It is not recommended that pregnant women undertake this course. A letter from the doctor will be required if a candidate is pregnant.
Why Choose to do your training with Us?
Our Experience (15 years)
The qualifications of our team (All have a healthcare background & hands on experience)
We like training and are friendly, supportive & good fun
Contact us for more information or to book a place on our next course